ORLANDO, Florida. (OrlandoSportsFoundation.com) – Week eight of the college football season for The American begins on Thursday with a clash between UCF and Temple, the top two teams in the east division battle in Orlando, Fla. All eyes in the Sun Belt on Saturday will be Georgia Southern traveling to Louisiana Monroe in contest featuring two first-place teams.
Each conference has five games on the docket for Saturday. SMU hosts Houston on Saturday in a meeting between two of the top teams in the West Division of The American. Bowl eligibility will be on the line when Applachian State heads to Coastal Carolina with the victor earning its sixth win of the season.
The AutoNation Cure Bowl featuring teams from the American Athletic Conference and Sun Belt Conference is set for Dec. 15 at 1:30 p.m. on CBS Sports Network. The bowl’s mission is to bring teams together to find a cure for cancer.
The American Matchups
TEMPLE (5-3) at UCF (7-0)
Thursday, Nov. 1 • 7:30 p.m. ET • ESPN
Spectrum Stadium • Orlando, Florida
- While Temple looks to even up their series record, 3-3, UCF is looking to keep the longest active winning streak in the league.
- Temple is coming off a bye week with an American Athletic Conference record of 4-0.
- UCF now holds the longest winning streak in the American with 20 games won in a row.
MEMPHIS (4-4) at ECU (2-5)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • Noon ET • ESPNU
Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium • Greenville, North Carolina
- This will be the 23rd meeting between Memphis and ECU. ECU has won the last four meetings in Greenville.
- Memphis is averaging 42.5 points and 522.6 yard per game.
- Both teams coming off a bye week, ECU looks to restart its season in Week 10.
NAVY (2-5) at CINCINNATI (7-1)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 3:30 p.m. ET • ESPNU
Nippert Stadium • Cincinnati, Ohio
- Navy has dominated this series taking wins in all four of their matchups. This is the first meeting in Cincinnati.
- This will be the third out of four games where the Navy’s opponents have a combined record of 22-2. Navy looks to snap a five-game slide.
- Cincinnati’s freshman QB Desmond Ridder has thrown 1,548 yards for 12 touchdowns.
TULANE (3-5) at USF (7-1)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 3:30 p.m. ET • CBSSN
Raymond James Stadium • Tampa, Florida
- This will be the second meeting after USF took a win last year in New Orleans.
- Last Saturday, Tulane won its first away game of the season, which snapped a four-game winless away game streak.
- USF looks to get back on the bull after its first loss last week against Houston.
UCONN (1-7) at TULSA (1-7)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 7 p.m. ET • CBSSN
H.A. Chapman Stadium • Tulsa, Oklahoma
- This will be the second matchup between UConn and Tulsa after UConn took last years game, 20-14.
- Six of UConn’s eight opponents this season have been defeated at the time of play.
HOUSTON (7-1) at SMU (3-5)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 7 p.m. ET • ESPNU
Gerald J. Ford Stadium • Dallas, Texas
- Houston has recorded a 21-11-1 mark against SMU, but the Mustangs did win its last meeting against the Cougars in Dallas, Texas, 38-16, in 2016.
- The Cougars have won their last five games and hold sole possession of first place in The American’s West Division after a 57-36 triumph over previously unbeaten USF.
- SMU is coming off a tough 26-20 overtime loss to Cincinnati.
Sun Belt Matchups
TEXAS STATE (2-6) at GEORGIA STATE (2-6)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 2 p.m. ET • ESPN+
Georgia State Stadium • Atlanta, Georgia
- Texas State looks to even the series, which is held, 3-2, by Georgia State.
- Texas State recorded two interceptions last Saturday against New Mexico State for the second time this season.
- Georgia State’s Penny Hart ranks seventh all-time with 193 receptions and fourth in Sun Belt history with 2,852 yards receiving.
SOUTH ALABAMA (2-6) at ARKANSAS STATE (4-4)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 3 p.m. ET • ESPN+
Centennial Bank Stadium • Jonesboro, Arkansas
- South Alabama looks to heat up in a series dominated by Arkansas State, 5-1.
- Arkansas State plays South Alabama in its Homecoming game. They have won 14 of the last 15 Homecoming games.
GEORGIA SOUTHERN (7-1) at ULM (4-4)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 3 p.m. ET • ESPN3
Malone Stadium • Monroe, Louisiana
- Georgia Southern is looking to extend it’s 5-2 series lead against ULM.
- Georgia Southern is 3-3 in the state of Louisiana, but they have won the last three in the Pelican.
- ULM leads the Sun Belt Conference in sacks with 23 for 153 yards, recording multiple sacks in six of eight games this season. Last season, they recorded 21 sacks.
- ULM is coming off a low scoring Homecoming win against Texas State.
LOUISIANA (4-4) at TROY (6-2)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 3:30 p.m. ET • ESPN+
Veterans Memorial Stadium • Troy, Alabama
- Lead by Head Coach Neal Brown, Troy has the second longest conference winning streak with 10 straight victories.
- After their 47-43 win over Arkansas State, Louisiana is tied for first place in their division with ULM.
- Louisiana Kicker Kyle Pfau made his mark in school history with making the longest field goal kick for the school since 2012 (52 yards).
APPALACHIAN STATE (5-2) at COASTAL CAROLINA (5-3)
Saturday, Nov. 3 • 5 p.m. ET • ESPN+
Brooks Stadium • Conway, South Carolina
- Appalachian State leads the series against Coastal Carolina 4-0. This will be the first time playing in South Carolina.
- App State is 30-4 in their last 34 conference games.
- Coastal Carolina has total control of the clock recording a time of possession of over 30-minutes in seven of their last eight games.