ORLANDO, Fla. (OrlandoSportsFoundation.com) – The American Athletic Conference opens week five of the season with a Friday night contest featuring Memphis at Tulane on ESPN2 at 8 p.m. Five games on Saturday highlight the action among Sun Belt teams this week.
The American Matchups
MEMPHIS (3-1, 0-1 The American) at TULANE (1-3)
Friday, Sept. 28 • 8:00 p.m. ET • ESPN2
Yulman Stadium • New Orleans, Louisiana
- Friday’s game will be the 35th meeting between Memphis and Tulane in a series that dates to 1954.
- The Tigers hold a 22-11-1 series lead and have won the last 11 matchups.
- The Green Wave has gone 0-2 on the road this season with losses at UAB (31-24) and No. 4 Ohio State (49-6).
TEMPLE (2-2) at BOSTON COLLEGE (3-1)
Saturday, Sept. 29 • 12:00 p.m. ET • ESPNU
Alumni Stadium • Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
- The Owls have had at least one non-offensive TD in all four games this season.
- Temple has bounced back from back-to-back losses with consecutive wins against Maryland and Tulsa to even its record.
- Boston College won its first three games, thus moving into the top 25 for the first time since 2008.
CINCINNATI (4-0) at UCONN (1-3, 0-1 The American)
Saturday, Sept. 29 • 3:30 p.m. ET • CBS Sports
Pratt & Whitney Stadium • East Hartford, Connecticut
- Saturday’s game will be the 15th meeting between Cincinnati and UConn.
- Cincinnati is off to a 4-0 start for the first time since the 2012 season.
- UConn has averaged a solid 414.5 yards per game, but a young defense has allowed 664.0 yards.
PITT (2-2) at UCF (3-0)
Saturday, Sept. 29 • 3:30 p.m. ET • ESPNU
Spectrum Stadium • Orlando, Florida
- Saturday’s game will be the second meeting between UCF and Pitt. The Panthers tallied 52-7 victory at UCF in 2006.
- The Knights are looking for their third all-time victory against teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- UCF extended its winning streak to an American Athletic Conference-record 16 games — the longest active streak in the nation.
OLD DOMINION (1-3) at EAST CAROLINA (1-2)
Saturday, Sept. 22 • 3:30 p.m. ET • BIG TEN NETWORK
Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium • Greenville, North Carolina
- Saturday’s game will be the second meeting between ECU and Old Dominion.
- East Carolina is coming off a tough 20-13 loss on the road at South Florida.
- The Monarchs average 416.8 yards per game and have allowed an average of 513.2 yards and upset Virginia Tech last weekend.
HOUSTON BAPTIST (1-2) at SMU (1-3, 1-0 ACC)
Saturday, Sept. 29 • 8 p.m. ET • ESPN
Gerald J. Ford Stadium • Dallas, Texas
- Saturday’s game will be the first meeting between SMU and Houston Baptist.
- SMU has won eight of its last nine games against NCAA FCS teams.
- The Mustangs notched a 31-30 win overtime win against Navy by converting a two-point attempt for their first win of the season.
The Sun Belt Matchups
LOUISIANA (1-2) at No. 1 ALABAMA (4-0)
Saturday, Sept. 29 • 11 a.m. ET • SEC Network
Bryant-Denny Stadium • Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Louisiana is looking for its first upset in the series, which Alabama has won each of the six previous meetings.
- The Ragin’ Cajuns are a perfect 10-for-10 in redzone opportunities this season.
- Junior Raymond Calais and sophomore Trey Ragas each eclipsed 100 yards rushing in the tough 30-28 defeat vs. Coastal Carolina on Sept. 22.
ULM (2-2, 0-1 Sun Belt) at GEORGIA STATE (1-3)
Saturday, Sept. 29 • 2:00 p.m. ET • ESPN+
Georgia State Stadium • Atlanta, Georgia
- ULM holds a 2-1 advantage in the all-time series against Georgia State.
- Last year, the Panthers piled up 670 yards of offense a 47-37 triumph on the road.
- Junior quarterback Caleb Eves accounted for 390 yards of total offense and two touchdowns last week against Coastal Carolina.
- Georgia State opens its Sun Belt slate after posting its only victory against Kennesaw State, 24-20 to open the campaign
COASTAL CAROLINA (3-1, 1-0 Sun Belt) at TROY (3-1, 1-0 Sun Belt)
Saturday, Sept. 29 • 3:30 p.m. ET • ESPN3
Veterans Memorial Stadium • Troy, Alabama
- This is the first meeting for the two programs in Troy, Ala., after the Trojans captured the inaugural matchup, 41-17, last year in Conway, S.C..
- After topping ULM, 35-27, to begin league play, the Trojans have won three-straight after dropping their opener vs. No. 22 Boise State.
- Coastal Carolina opened its Sun Belt later with a 30-28 win at Louisiana.
- The Chanticleers hold the top rushing offense in the Sun Belt, averaging 266.5 yards per game
SOUTH ALABAMA (1-3, 1-0 Sun Belt) at APPALACHIAN STATE (2-1)
Saturday, Sept. 22 • 3:30 p.m. ET • ESPN+
Kidd Brewer Stadium • Boone, N.C.
- A 1-1 deadlock in the all-time series will be broken on Saturday.
- South Alabama QB Evan Orth tied a school record with 360 yards passing, while adding three touchdowns last week at Memphis.
- Appalachian State paces the Sun Belt in scoring offense (51.7), total offense (525.7), total defense (265.7), pass offense (282.3), pass defense (154.7), rushing defense (111.0),
pass defense efficiency (95.2), kickoff returns (39.5), sacks against (1.67) and opponent first downs (16.7).
- The Mountaineers have also returned four kicks for touchdowns, pacing the nation.
ARKANSAS STATE (3-1) at GEORGIA SOUTHERN (2-1)
Saturday, Sept. 22 • 7 p.m. ET • ESPN
Allen E. Paulson Stadium • Statesboro, Georgia
- Arkansas State holds a 2-1 advantage in the all-time series against Georgia Southern, including a 43-25 road victory last year.
- The Red Wolves have tied their best start to a season with three victories in four game and are looking for their first ever 4-1 start.
- A-State has won its last two games by 10 points or less matching the total in head coach Blake Anderson’s first four seasons.
- Georgia Southern has posted the most important victory in the all-time series – a win in the 1986 Division I FCS Championship Game.
- The Eagles have played nine true freshmen thus far this season.
ARKANSAS STATE (1-2, 0-1) at GEORGIA SOUTHERN (0-3)
Saturday, Sept. 22 • 7 p.m. ET • ESPN
Alamodome • San Antonio, Texas
- This is the third meeting between Texas State and UTSA. Texas State is looking to win its first game in the series.
- The Bobcats recovered three fumbles against South Alabama, the highest single game total in the Sun Belt Conference this season.
- Texas State enters this game 42nd in the nation and second in the Sun Belt in rushing defense.